Sunday, July 31, 2011

CAL 40


The Cal 40 is one of my all time favorite hulls. She was designed by C. William Lapworth in 1963. She is 39'6" LOA, has a beam of 11', a modest draft of 5' 6" and utilizes a fin keel and spade rudder. One article I read about the Cal 40 called her "a downwind machine" and mentioned one Cal 40 in the Trans Pac Race from LA to Honolulu regularly reaching speeds when on a reach in excess of 20 knots.  

I used 3/8" lifts of sugar pine for the hull with bass wood for the keel and rudder. I painted the topsides gloss white acrylic, the waterline is blue acrylic and below the water line the hull is flat white acrylic. The mounting board is mahogany with multiple coats of shellac. The half hull is 15" long. The scale is 1/32 so
3/8" = 1'. I finished the Cal 40 in Dec of 2010.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment