Thursday, July 28, 2011

Christmas

A wonderfull photo of the Starling Burgess cutter Christmas was on the front cover of the WB publication Wood, Water & Light. She is a 44' double ender with a full keel. Since renamed Arawak and now seen with a white hull above the water line, to my eye she never looked better than with the black hull on the cover of this book. Also in the book are her lines drawings which were the source material for this half hull. I used horizontal lifts of sugar pine of about 1/2" cut on the band saw to the profile for that lift. They are then stacked on top of one and other and a backing of 1/16" basswood was added to create the rudder and keel.

Although this is an auxiliary cutter with a diesel engine the plans ignore this - thus no space is shown on the half hull for a prop even though we know there is one. This was completed in May 2009. The half hull is 15.5" in length so the scale is approximately 1/32 or 3/8" = 1'. The hull is painted gloss black above the water line and Benj Moore Spanish Red below. The cove strip is white pin striping and the waterline is painted with white acrylic. The back board is oak finished with several layers of shellac.

1 comment:

  1. The Blanchard JR Knockabout, the Muscongus Bay sloop, Mary Loring and Christmas were the first 4 half hulls I made. By the time I finished them I had collected lines plans for 20 more. I have since finished #5 - 12 and today I am working on #13 & 14, with the lifts for #15 ready to be cut on my new 10' band saw. As long as I love doing this I will keep at it.

    To make matters more interesting I retired in April and right now I am frantically trying to finish a cradle boat for our first grandchild before we are off on a 10 day bare boat charter in the San Juan and Gulf Islands. And I need to find time for golf so #13, 14 and 15 are not getting done as quickly as I had planned.....

    ReplyDelete