Sunday, July 31, 2011

MARUFFA


Once the list of half hulls I wanted to make had reached 25, with 10 of them completed (all of which can be seen in this Blog), I came across the lines plan for MARUFFA in the book SAIL & POWER by Uffa Fox. I was not aware of MARUFFA's east coast history until I read that article but I knew she had a storied history in Puget Sound waters, having been aboard at her dock on Bainbridge Island when in I was in college. I also knew MARUFFA to be an SYC boat and many times I have gazed at her half hull model with gold bottom paint displayed with many others just outside the Ward Room at SYC.

MARUFFA was designed in 1954 by Phillip L. Rhodes. She carries a yawl rig and is 67'5" LOA, with a 15'2" beam, and a draft of 8'6".

MARUFFA's line plan in hand I went to work on the half hull (ahead of 15 others) in the summer of 2010. I used 3/8" lifts of sugar pine and a 1/16" backing of bass wood for the keel and rudder. The topside are white acrylic with a gold pin stripe. The waterline is red acrylic and not wantiing to copy the half hull model on display at SYC I used flat blue acrylic paint below the waterline. The mounting board is mahogany with six coats of shellac. My half hull is 25" in length. The scale is 1/32 so 3/8" = 1'. MARUFFA was fininshed in Aug 2010.






1 comment:

  1. Some further history
    The Maruffa sailed the GL Makinac race (see Life magazine) and later owned by Educational Experiences and sailed the Newport Bermuda race a few times. She was charted by Woods Hole for whale research.

    She was sold and sailed to NZ where she was reefed south of Florence Beach south of Dunedin where her stern still is displayed in the Outdoor Youth Center nearby.

    Her parts were auctioned at Todds in Invercargill NZ where I was living and learned mre about her end.

    ReplyDelete