Sunday, July 31, 2011

Tioga


I think I have 200 of the 220 issues of Wooden Boat magazine but issue #205 Nov/Dec 2008 is special. The cover shows a stern on view of the 50' yawl Tioga, as it was laid up in the Blind Bay boat shop on Shaw Island having some major repair and refit work done. The article about Tioga written by Tom Jackson answered two questions for me. First, the lines plan was included in the article so I could add this beautiful vessel to the growing list of half hulls I want to make. Second Jackson notes that someone I know, Peter Francis had owned this boat in the 1980's. Some time after arriving in Seattle Peter bought a small business. I was fortunate to meet Peter at that time. I knew that Peter had owned a large saling vessel and had traveled from the northeast through the Panama Canal and varied other Pacific destinations before landing in Seattle and selling the boat. Rather than put Tioga at the back of the line I decided she would be my next project. The article by Tom Jackson includes some great photos and is well worth reading. 

Tioga was designed by K. Aage Nielsen in NY and was built in 1953 by Cantieri Bagliettoin Varazze, Italy. She is 50' LOA with a beam of nearly 13'. She is unusal in that she has a very shallow draft of 5' 7" and utilizes a retractible centerboard.

My half hull is 18.5" in length. The scale is 1/32 so 3/8" = 1'. I used 3/8" lifts of sugar pine for the hull and a backing of 1/8" bass wood for the bottom of the keel, rudder and center board. The rub rail and transom are varnished mahagony. The think black line just below the deck is pin stripe. The topsides are painted with white acrylic. The black water line is also painted with acylic and below the waterline I used Benjmanin Moore Spanish Red latex. The mounting board is cherry painted with multiple coats of satin varnish.   




No comments:

Post a Comment