Sunday, July 31, 2011

NINA


In the early 1960's I read Yachting & Sail magazines cover to cover so it was not at all unusual for me to read about NINA in 1962 and fall in love. That year she was 33 years old was first-in-class and first overall in the Burmuda Race. NINA is a staysail schooner designed by W Starling Burgess in 1928. She is 59' LOA with a beam of 14' 10". She is one gorgeous yacht.

I used 3/8" lifts of sugar pine and a backing piece of 1/8" bass wood. I added a mahogany rub rail and transom. The topsides are white acrylic, the waterline black acrylic and below the water line I used green acrylic. The mounting board is stained mahogany painted with muliple coats of shellac. The lines plan shows the vessel with the bow to the left so that is the way I built the half hull. The half hull is 20.5" long - 24" with the bow sprit. The scale 1/35th so 11/32" = 1'. I finished the half hull of NINA in Dec 2010.







 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. What a superb model. Just wondering as the search for lost Nina continues in the Tasman Sea, would you be able to make a photo of your model that indicates mast positions ? Many amateurs are searching satellite images, and this kind of visual guide would be very useful .. but it would need to be quite quickly !! Many thanks indeed .. you cd write to me at clearmindsky at the google email system !! Hope this reaches you ...Dianne

    ReplyDelete