Friday, July 29, 2011

Oceanus

Oceanus :  Designed by William Garden in 1954. Oceanus was 60 ft LOA. Joel White said she was designed to be "the most, and fastest, boat that could be signle handed by two people while cruising..." (Source: WB #81, March/April 1988).

My half hull was completed in Nov 2009 using the lines plan found in that WB article. I used 3/8" sugar pine and assembled a total of 9 lifts. The keel, skeg and rudder are also sugar pine. I used station molds of light card board to get the hull shape right. I did such a good job (ie, no filler) that I could finish it bright.
I used  6 coats of varnish on the hull and also on the mahagony mounting board. The scale is 1/32 so 3/8" = 1'. The mounting board is 25" long and 8.5" high.  

I remember seeing Oceanus on several occasions around Puget Sound and marveling at the beautifull, sleek hull. Very sadly several years ago I heard the boat, by then a derelict, was cut up for firewood as the yard bill was several years past due. So I guess this is my way of keeping the beautifull shape of Oceanus alive.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment