Thursday, July 28, 2011

Mary Loring

I am sure we all find that every hull is beautiful, but to my eye Mary Loring is special. Designed by Winthop Warner and built in 1947 Mary Loring is 39'10" LOD. She is sailing today and I found some great photos of her on PhotoBoat.com.

This is a traditionally constructed half hull. It is made of horizontal lifts of sugar pine which are are about 1/2" thick. These are cut out on the band saw using the plan and then stacked one on top of the other. I used station molds made of fine card board and the 1/2" round gauge togeher with a lot of sanding in order to get the final shape. I added a back board of basswood for the keel and rudder. I found the hull plan in a book with a wide varity of cruising yachts by various designers.

The color scheme comes from the photos. I am afraid I cheated a bit and used tape for the water line.... The paint above the water line is acrylic dark blue. Below the water line is Benjamin Moore latex "Spanish Red".  The back board is cherry coated with several layers of shellac.

I finished this in March 2009. The half hull is 15" in length. The scale is 1/32 or 3/8" = 1'. The back board is 21" x 7".





 

No comments:

Post a Comment